A Brief History
The building was originally a Tenants Hall to cater for the new Higher Irlam Estate around 1930. In May 1930 a Sunday School was introduced to serve the Children of the Estate. Soon two sittings were required each Sunday to accommodate numbers, and before long evening services for adults were included.
The Hall was put up for sale on the death of its owner and the Methodists were offered first refusal for the princely sum of £550 (including land, building and contents). The congregation worked desperately hard to raise the cash, fending off the attentions of the Socialists and Roman Catholics who were both keen to obtain the property. In July 1931 the premises were purchased and dedicated as a ‘Methodist Place of Worship’. There was a vestry extension in 1949 and major repairs in 1964. Further improvements have been made since, including a perimeter fence.
Boundary Road closed in May 2022.